My son is headed off to college next year. Which is great – Everyone’s excited. The school, Westminster College in Utah, sent out car window stickers so new students (and parents) could show off their pride (and the college could get a bit of free advertising and word of mouth). Later, at a meet-and-greet more stickers were available. The more stickers the more exposure and pride, right? Wrong. I’m not excited – I’m disappointed. The school logo stickers are so bad they not only are a complete waste of money for the school, but they damage the school brand and miss an opportunity for any positive marketing.
What’s wrong with this picture? This is a picture of the Westminster College sticker I just put on my car. Besides the fact that the static barely held the sticker onto the window and I doubt it will hold for the day, the window sticker design is invisible. How could an organization pay money for these? Would a company buy promotional pens with their name on them if the pen didn’t come with ink to write? No. It is almost criminal that someone would sell these, but then for buyer to not even notice they don’t work and be actively handing and mailing them out to new students (and maybe prospects, alumni, etc.) should be embarrassing.
I don’t mean to just pick on Westminster College as this sticker marketing mistake is a much wider problem than that and I have seen the same problem at many other schools. But, somebody needs to wake up – don’t throw your marketing dollars away! Money would be better spent buying a billboard or magazine ad and leaving the space blank. To a company focused on the design and marketing potential of the sticker medium this sticker marketing mistake is just painful to behold. Working with Websticker these window sticker design problems could not happen – we would never sell a custom window sticker that does not support other marketing efforts, let alone have negative value for the organization.
Here are some quick tips and opinions based on this particular bad promo window sticker design:
- Static material is not needed or recommended. It extremely limits where stickers can be applied (inside of windows only) and there are many ultra-removable adhesives available if there are concerns about removability.
- Car windows are dark and any printed inks on a sticker must be either white or backed with white ink. White reflects light – dark colors are simply translucent.
- Depending on what other promo stickers are available from the school, clear stickers probably are not the best choice for getting stickers applied out in the world and maximizing exposure. Smaller die cut white vinyl stickers and other styles that are more popular and have more versatile application possibilities can be a much better option.
- What ever type of promotional sticker you buy from a printer make sure you get input on the design and sticker style. And, make sure that you get what you pay for. What good is a sticker that doesn’t work? If they don’t work, send them back, get a refund, have them reprinted the right way…
- Get help! Use a sticker design and production company that takes care of these concerns and addresses common mistakes for you, or learn more about proper design and sticker marketing yourself. Contact Websticker with any questions or sticker campaigns that may need a review. We can also hook up anyone interested with a free copy of my book, Stick This!